Ivan Patachich was born on June 3rd 1922 in Hungary. He was schooled at the Franz Liszt Academy of Music in Budapest for both composition and conducting where he studied under the direction of Albert Siklós, Franz Szabó, and John Ferencsik. Shortly after receiving his degree in 1948, Patachich became the Musical Director of the Hungarian Films Studio. Based in Budapest, he became a mainstay of the musical scene in the city and remained at the position until 1987.
Patachich was a constant student of the electronic music field and he traveled abroad to learn from places such as Columbia University, Studios EMS of Stockholm, the Academy of Music of Stuttgart, the Experimental Studios of the Radio of Bratislava, and the Electronic Pulpit of Music in Bourges. He is credited for introducing electroacoustic music to Hungary and constantly pushed for furthering its development.